The food and restaurant industries have a knack for marketing unhealthy products to children, including fast food meals, sugary treats, and processed snacks lacking in nutrition. If you’re a parent or caretaker for children, chances are you’ve dealt with picky eaters. Instead of succumbing to feeding them unhealthy choices, be creative by swapping healthier ingredients for more nutritious options!
1. Instead of fast food French fries, try: Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Here’s a delicious way to satisfy kids with a salty tooth. Sweet potatoes are rich I vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin B6. In addition, they are loaded with potassium and dietary fiber.
How To Make Baked Sweet Potato Fries:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut 3 raw sweet potatoes into halves, and then fourths. Cut each fourth into individual strips.
- Lay fries on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until dries are tender and crisp.
2. Instead of take-out pizza, try: Whole Grain English Muffin Pizzas
It’s hard to find a kid who doesn’t like pizza. Save the greasy take out for another day, and make your very own mini personal pizzas with English muffins!
How To Make Whole Grain English Muffin Pizzas
- Preheat the oven (or use a toaster oven!) to 375 degrees.
- Place the English muffin halves face up on a baking sheet.
- Spread pizza sauce on each half. Choose an all-natural sauce that has no added sugars.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until cheese is crisp and melted.
3. Instead of chocolate candies, try: Popcorn Trail Mix
It’s easy to grab a candy bar to satisfy a sweet tooth. This sweet and salty snack has enough chocolatey goodness to feel like a treat, while providing healthier ingredients for a more balanced snack.
How To Make Popcorn Trail Mix
Simply mix any of these ingredients together for a healthy, easy snack!
- Lightly salted, unbuttered popcorn
- Whole grain cereal (Chex or Life cereal work well)
- Dark chocolate chips
- Pecan halves
- Whole grain pretzel sticks